Easy Dot Painting Arts & Crafts Ideas
20 Apr 2016
Ideal for workshops and parties
An easy, low-cost alternative to button art
You will need:
For design work, you have the following options:
- Graphite paper to transfer a design or words that you like (like the ballerina on the right)
- Silhouettes to use as a template and dot around (like the white heart canvas above)
- Stickers to use as a template to dot around
- Free-hand (if you are good at drawing)
Heart Silhouette Instructions
We've shown two versions: (1) plain white canvas with pink dots and (2) a black dot canvas with gold dots.
- We used the A4 white pre-primed canvas for both options. For the black version we simply painted the canvas with Americana Black Ebony paint.
- Place the Heart Silhouette in the centre of the canvas.
- Using a Dotting tool, rubber on the end of a pencil or cotton buds/Q-tips (or a combination of them all), dot around and close to the silhouette. One hand will need to keep the silhouette in place; the other hand will do the dotting.
- Gently remove the silhouette making sure you do not smudge the wet paint. Wash the silhouette immediately.
- Whilst the dots are wet you can sprinkle them with Glamour Dust Dry Glitters - a fine dry glitter (Gold or Crystal).
- Spray Varnish with matte or gloss for added protection or durability (optional).
Four Seasons and Ballerina Canvas
- Find patterns (branch or ballerina) online by searching for FREE printables. Save the pattern and print it (on a standard printer with standard/copier paper) making sure the pattern is the appropriate size for the canvas.
- With the four seasons canvases we chose an assortment of colours and painted over the A4 white pre-primed canvas. For the black ballerina version we simply painted the canvas with Americana Black Ebony paint.
- After the paint has dried, use graphite transfer paper to trace the pattern onto the canvas, or if you are comfortable with it, free-hand the design on lightly with a pencil. White graphite paper works on a dark background; grey graphite paper is used on a light background. To use place the graphite paper transfer side face-down on the canvas. Next place your artwork on top making sure it is in the correct position on the canvas (top tip: sometimes it is easier to place the artwork in position and slide the graphite paper underneath).
- Trace around the artwork using a dotting tool, pencil or pen (hold the papers in place while you trace - it maybe worthwhile checking the that artwork is transferring i.e. you have got the graphite paper the right way round before you finish all the tracing).
- For the ballerina will filled in her silhouette by using the dotting tool dipped in various pinks and whites. For the four seasons assortment, we painted a black branch and then randomly dotted around the branches in assorted colours.
- Don't forget that graphite papers are re-usable - just keep using until you notice that the artwork is not transferring as well as you need.
- Whilst the dots are wet you can sprinkle them with Glamour Dust Fine Dry Glitter (Gold or Crystal).
- Spray varnish with matte or gloss for added protection or durability (optional).